- Recycling Synthetic Machine Coolant
In use, machining coolants become contaminated with a combination of tramp oils which arise from hydraulic oils and way lubes from the machining equipment and bacteria, as well as metal particles from the machining operations. Eventually, this causes the coolant to be discarded, since it will no longer perform adequately.
By subjecting this spent material to an ultrafiltration membrane, the contaminants are retained, while the coolant passes through the membrane, and can then be reused.
- 96% Reduction in Waste Volume at Machine Shop subtitle: WNY Screw Machine Shop
- Water from waste products is evaporated leaving a highly concentrated sludge. This greatly reduced quantity of sludge is drummed up and hauled away.
- Superfund Site Cleanup
- Using two catalytic oxidizers on the site to extract both the vapors from the ground water and from the vapor phase. The VOCs were oxidized to a 99% destruction.
- Zero Discharge from Spray Washer
- Zero discharge on the spray washer, rinse tank and wash tank was met
- Exceeded cleanliness standards requirement
- Reduced soap and water usage to a minimum
- Recycling of Waste from an Industrial Laundry
Membrane filters have been applied, in a very limited way, to industrial laundries. The membrane filters that have been employed previously, for the most part, have been misapplied. As a result, the perception is that membrane filters are sensitive and tend to plug easily. When tubular ultrafilters are utilized, they are free from pluggage and can be applied very reliably.
Membrane filters are well-suited for purification of waste water generated by industrial laundries. The membrane filter simply separates clean water from the contaminants mechanically.
- Lighter Manufacturing Plan Recycles Cleaners and Minimizes Waste
- Modified production to use only four cleaners, allowing for easier recycling
- Pumped overflow rinse tank when the cleaner stopped working
- Installed recycling system in a separate area to make it invisible to production
- Educated production employees about the benefits of recycling
- Recycling is maintained by the existing waste treatment personnel